Real thoughts in text

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Chernobyl

Today I watched a documentary on the National Geographic Channel about the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl, Russia. It was very interesting and it made me think, "What could we do to prevent ever having another catastrophic event anywhere in the world?" There are two approaches to solve this question. The first more radical idea is that we ban such ways of producing powers altogether. The second one I thought of was that somebody, perhaps the UN, should go around and inspect various nuclear plants around the world. From what I have read the most nuclear "unstable" country is Russia. They have had a number of nuclear meltdowns in their nuclear powered submarines and not to mention the disaster said above. The other major meltdowns occured at Three Mile Island, NRX, EBR-I, Windscale, and Enrico Fermi Nuclear Generating Station. Although I believe Russia is the most unstable, it seems it could be a tie with the US, for 3 of the 5 meltdowns mentioned above occured in the US.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home